Full course description
Saturdays, 2/27/2021-3/20/2021, 1pm-4:15pm
Instructor: Alexandra Bailliere
Learn a variety of monoprinting and block printing techniques using the natural world as your inspiration. This workshop will introduce blockprinting using a carved block and collagraph plate, as well as monoprinting using Jelli mats and plexiglass surfaces.
Additive printing, subtractive printing, watercolor/gouache printmaking and collagraph techniques will be covered.
Each workshop meeting will be divided into two 90 minute blocks, and we will do two projects per workshop (there will be one 15 minute break in the middle of workshop). Students can expect to come away from the workshop with one completed speedy carve rubber block and a collagraph plate for future use. Also, many different types of prints on a variety of papers.
Workshops will be taught online through Zoom and Canvas. Students will need a computer or smart phone with webcam and microphone, internet and web streaming capacity, and the Zoom application installed on their device. A device to capture digital images (digital camera, smart phone, or tablet, etc.) is helpful but not required.
- 4"- 6" Speedy-Carve block
- Linoleum cutter handle (red)
- #1, #2, and #5 linoleum cutters
- 1.25 oz (37 ml) tube of Black Water-Soluble Block Printing Ink
- 4" Soft Rubber Pop-In Brayer (all of this can be purchased as a set for $22.86 from Dick Blick.)
- Assorted printmaking papers 5"x7"
- Matte medium. Palette paper or wax paper
- Akua ink, at least 1 color
- Gelatin for making our own jelli printing surfaces
- 8"x10" plexiglass sheet
- Washi or painter's tape (thin is better here)
- Cardboard for collagraph project
- A few paintbrushes
- Set of watercolors or gouache paints
- additional ink colors, red, yellow and blue are good to have for mixing
- Wooden spoon to use as a baren for rubbing surfaces
- 12" metal ruler with cork backing if you want to tear your own printmaking papers
- Spray bottle
- plastic sheeting or garbage bags
- Ink/palette knife
- Newsprint or scratch paper