Full course description
Saturdays, 9:30am-12:30pm, 1/30/2021-3/13/2021
with additional Engagement Lab hour Wednesdays
Instructor: Linda Hope
Learn drawing techniques and processes by drawing from life, using recommended and easily found objects. Objects recommended will be ones well suited to “tabletop drawing” and will serve as the subject matter that will best lend itself to each exercise. Start on the journey through the elements of drawing, beginning with contemplative line. Then, move through line’s many applications. With the introduction of different media, discover how fluid movement can be used, as gestural approaches begin to reveal form. This will lead to more complex and richer renderings. No previous drawing experience will be necessary, but all levels are welcome.
Workshops are taught online through Zoom and Canvas. Students will need a computer or smart phone with webcam and microphone, internet and web streaming capacity, and the Zoom application installed to their device. A device to capture images (digital camera, smart phone, or tablet, etc.) is helpful, but not required.
Complete pre-assembled materials kits, with all of the supplies you will need for this workshop are available from FLAX Art and Design. The kits are available for pick-up at the San Francisco FLAX store, located in Building D at Ft. Mason. Contact Flax at: 415-530-3510 or at https://flaxart.com to arrange for pick-up, or for more information.
If you woudl like to put together your materials yoursef here is the full list:
· 2B, 4B, 6B Graphite Drawing Pencils
· General “Sketching” or Ebony Graphite Drawing Pencil
· Medium (4B) and Soft (6B) Charcoal Pencils. Try and get the “Peel & Sketch” kind, as they are easier to sharpen.
· 3-4 Sticks of Vine or Willow Charcoal, Soft. Try to get medium or large stick sizes because those are easier to hold while you are drawing.
· 2B, 4B, 6B Compressed Charcoal Sticks. Look for a 3 or 4 pack of Compressed Charcoal Sticks with a range of hard and soft.
· 2B Black Conte Crayon. This is only sold in a 2 pack.
• 3 or 4 pack of Graphite Sticks (2B, 4B, & 6B)
· Kneaded Eraser
· Magic Rub or Plastic Eraser
· Small pencil sharpener
· 9 x 12” or 11 x 14” Sketch Book with 50-65 lb. paper. The heavier the paper, the more durable the surface will be.