*We have a class kit available for purchase from ARCH Art Supplies, a local SF small business. The kit features all of the required materials for your class at a discounted price. If interested, you can purchase the kit through this link: https://shop.archsupplies.com/collections/class-kits/products/observational-painting-in-watercolor
All materials EXCEPT the items that are *asterisked* are included in the ARCH Art Supplies class kit.
Watercolor Tubes or *Dry Cakes*:
- titanium white - mars or ivory black
- cadmium yellow - cadmium red
- ultramarine blue - prussian blue
- alizarin crimson - viridian or phthalo green
- yellow ochre - burnt umber
*Optional recommended colors: cerulean blue, lemon yellow, opera pink, payne's gray*
- #16 or higher Pointed Round
- #4 or smaller Round (This is often included in watercolor sets)
- Graphite pencils (suggested hardness: 2H & 2B)
- Kneaded eraser
- Plastic eraser (Example: Staedtler or Mono)
- Pencil sharpener
- Roll of masking or painter’s tape
- (1) A watercolor art journal or pad with heavy weighted paper. Ideally cold press, 140lbs, and no smaller than 6” x 8”.
- (1) Small travel palette case or folding palette box (suggested: Martin Mijello Airtight Watercolor Palette)
- *Rags or a paper towel roll*
- *(2) Cups or jars to hold water*
- *(1) Straight edged ruler & a compass tool OR a round object to make circles for our color wheel example: plate and roll of tape.*
Joyce Nojima is a second-generation Japanese American born and raised in Santa Rosa, California. She received her B.A. in Art Practice from University of California, Berkeley in 2003 and earned her MFA at University of California, Davis in 2014. She was an Affiliate Artist and Graduate Fellowship Program at the Headlands Center for the Arts. She was also a former studio artist at Root Division. She is currently an Art Instructor at City Extension and Root Division. And she is currently a teaching artist in residence at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.